5/1/11

One Month... a few weeks ago

This has nothing to do with this post except for the fact that I just put Harper in his crib for a nap and that's why I am able to even post this... BUUUUT every time I put him down for a nap I feel like I'm holding my breath the entire time he's sleeping, which usually isn't very long.
It's been a month (well it's actually been 6 weeks but who says new moms should have to post things in a timely manner?!?!? or any mom for that matter) 

We've had a few trips to the doctors office. At his last appointment (which was a few weeks ago) he weighed a whopping 7 lbs 14 oz! Two pounds more than at birth. It's amazing what two pounds can do for a little one. He looks completely different in just one month. Everyone (like family and friends who have seen him since birth) comments on how big he's getting. Everyone else (like people who don't know how little he was) comments on how tiny he still is. 
The first month has been... interesting. He has some stomach issues which we've been trying to help him with. I feel like we have almost exhausted every option to help him from gas drops to gripe water to even some herbal oils that we rubbed on his belly. The latest thing suggested by our doctor was Probiotic powder added to his bottle once a day. So far I think that has helped the most. Instead of every day issues we only have issues every other day. The good thing is that the days go by quickly and then dad comes home and I get a break. The nights aren't terrible- it mostly depends on my attitude. Some nights I want to scream every time I have to get out of bed (and sometimes I do to help release the frustration) and other nights I'm fine being up with him. He is pretty good about eating and going straight back to sleep, which I should be grateful for. He also has one stretch at night that usually lasts 4-5 hours, but the rest of the time it's every three hours like clock work.
(I think he looks a lot like Jason in this photo)

A few things we have learned about Harper this month are:
  • He absolutely hates having lotion put on
  • He would rather sleep in his swing than his crib
  • He snorts- at first I thought he had snot in his nose but turns out he's just a snorter
  • He shoots poop farther than he can throw a baseball (as Jason says)
  • He loves having his arms out of his blanket (although sometimes we still force them into the swaddle)
  • He eats his hands when he gets really frustrated (as illustrated below) 
  • He still only fits in mostly newborn size clothes although we have recently graduated to size 1 diapers
 I love this picture because he is so done with this photo shoot.

 Well apparently I've held my breath long enough...

2 comments:

Randi Patch said...

He is so cute! I love his blankets too!

Katie Price said...

oh shut up. he is so freaking cute. i'm ready for him to get chubby.

it does get better. i hate the holding your breath while they're sleeping feeling. it sucks. and MAKE him stay swaddled. they sleep so much better. no one told me that with jax, and i almost died. love you.