7/3/11

Two Months

The first month of Harper's life seemed to fly by... the second month not so much. It feels like he has been a part of our family for a long time. I love that he can already tell us how old he is with his fingers...
 During Harper's second month of life I started working again. It was very hard to leave him. I had finally began to feel comfortable with the lifestyle change of staying home all day with a baby and then everything was changed up again. For those who can't tell- I am no bueno when it comes to change. I like routine and knowing what to expect from each day. I'm sure motherhood will get me used to constant change and unpredictability- it already has. The week before I went back to work I tried not to worry about the dishes or vacuuming and just spent as much time with Harper... soaking in every second of him, cuddling all day long and letting him sleep on me even though the stupid books say not to. 

Actually being at work wasn't too bad... it was the getting to work on time thing that was more difficult. The first day was pretty easy, Harper slept while I got ready and then we headed off to Grandmas. The second day was a little more difficult. Harper would not let me put him down to get ready because he had a belly ache. I text Jason and told him "I didn't know how he or anyone else expected me to do this!" (those were my exact words-possibly a little dramatic). I really felt like I had been asked to do something beyond my capability. I've realized that motherhood is always going to push me and make me do more than I think I can and just when I feel that I've got the hang of it, I'll have to learn how to do more. And that's okay because I've realized it's kind of empowering. Now with every little challenge that comes along since I've become a mother whether it's having the confidence I need to take care of this little person who relies on me for pretty much everything or learning how to be a working mom or cleaning up dog puke all day... I've learned that I can do more than I thought I could.  Do I always want to? Rarely, but at least I know I can. In fact I feel a sense of accomplishment every time I successfully juggle the car seat, diaper bag, my purse, my lunch and my laptop out to the car every Monday morning. But enough about me... this is supposed to be about Harper. He's teaching me so much already! 
{I should just clarify that my work gig is pretty sweet. I only work 1 day in the office and another day from home. So I am grateful that Jason works hard so that I can only work this much and grateful that my work has been so flexible with my schedule.}
At his 2 month appointment Harper weighed in at 10 lbs and 23 inches tall. Harper's pediatrician (Can I just say Dr. Lau rocks! Thanks for the referral Misha!) told me at this appointment that we would notice a total difference in him after 2 months and can I just say she was SO right. Since his 2 month mark he has been a completely different baby and so much more enjoyable to be honest. He's began to smile and "talk" to us. He has also had fewer belly aches and is sleeping longer each night. He still struggles with taking naps during the day but I'll take a six hour stretch of sleeping at night over a 2 hour nap any day of the week. 

I love spending my days at home with my little Harper bean. His cheeks are getting bigger and his hair is getting thinner each day. Watching him develop and do new things is pretty much the coolest thing ever. 

{FYI: This post is about a month and a half late. Harper is now 3 1/2 months old. For some reason my blog wasn't allowing me to upload pictures when I tried to post this and I just lost interest in trying to figure it out. Luckily a month and half later it's working again.}

No comments: